Eric's Beer Blog

My online journal for beer (and other drinks) tasting, brewing, tourism, and general musings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Latest batch of homebrew...

I tried a bottle of my "imperial porter" tonight-- first one I've had in several weeks.

I think it's improved substantially since the last one. This beer was brewed with a rather large amount (1/2 lb.) of molasses, and initial tastings found the molasses flavor to be very prominent, if not overwhelming. I hoped then that with some aging the molasses would blend in a bit more.

My hopes have been realized. The beer looked great (very nice head, good color), smelled excellent (some hops, even a bit of coffee?), and tasted nice. Still molasses, but much better balanced with good malt flavors and some hops. Smooth. I'm very happy with the way this beer has turned out.

Here's the recipe, for those who beer geekiness extends that far:

3.3 lbs. Light Malt Extract, 3.3 lbs. Amber, 3.3 lbs. Dark
1/2 lb. 60' L Crystal malt
1/4 lb. Cara Vienna Malt
1/4 lb. Carafa Malt
1/2 lb. molasses
3 1/4 oz. Saaz (boil)
1/2 oz. Saaz (finishing)
White Labs High Gravity Ale yeast (2 pt. starter)
O.G. 1.076
F.G. 1.027

Brewed 11/13/05, bottled around 12/1.

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniela said...

I agree, it was most yummy. And quite it's own beer, not derivitive of anything. Course, I think that's a good thing!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home